It’s Time For A Change…
Your Future Evolves Here
Evolent Health has a bold mission to change the health of the nation by changing the way health care is delivered. Our pursuit of this mission is the driving force that brings us to work each day. We believe in embracing new ideas, challenging ourselves and failing forward. We respect and celebrate individual talents and team wins. We have fun while working hard and Evolenteers often make a difference in everything from scrubs to jeans.
Are we growing? Absolutely—about 50% growth from 2015 through late 2019. Are we recognized? Definitely. Evolent was the first organization ever to receive NCQA’s Population Health Program Accreditation and is consistently recognized as one of the Becker’s Healthcare 150 Top Places to Work. We recognize employees that live our values, give back to our communities each year, and are champions for bringing our whole selves to work each day. If you’re looking for a place where your work can be personally and professionally rewarding, don’t just join a company with a mission. Join a mission with a company behind it.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Evolent Health is looking for a dynamic and strategic Director, Customer Service to be a key leader of our Customer Service Organization (CSO) team. This individual will play a critical role in executing Evolent Health’s mission by providing leadership, direction and oversight of a high-performing team operating a Call Center for our Health Plan partners within multiple/state/site call center locations. The Director will report directly to the VP of EVH’s CSO and work collaboratively in a matrixed organization with key internal and external business partners to enable achievement of service level goals and standards, continually enhance the service strategy in alignment with the changing needs of our business and our customers, implementing upgrades, enhancements and/or process improvements as needed.
This position will successfully manage a team of CSO staff driving improvements in customer satisfaction, employee development and retention, ensuring performance and service metrics are consistently met, set the tone for culture, performance and reputation, interact with leadership to establish best operational practices and execute the vision for our call centers while supporting the CSO strategy. In this role they will operate, service, monitor and serve as CSO liaison to other organizational and market leaders to resolve barriers and influence decision making for ensuring successful operation of the CSO.
- The Director provides direct supervision of a CSO team, overseeing Customer Service operations; accountable for call center service, performance and quality, including assurance activities, across the call centers.
- With the VP of CSO and other collaborative leaders, develop, implement and deploy a Customer Service and Experience strategy that is aligned with organizational goals and focused on our customer/client and member experience.
- Partnering with EVH Talent to recruit and hire CSO team members and continually assess department structures and create opportunities for growth and succession planning.
- Lead the CSO teams on the development and composition of skills required from all CSR’s and address performance issues promptly and within the company values.
- Responsible for directing and supporting the call centers in the attainment of key performance indicators and metrics such as abandon rates, avg. speed of answer, service level, talk utilization, avg. work time, etc.
- Collaborate with business partners to address and resolve any gaps within the required timeframes, achieve performance metrics for financial performance, membership growth, retention, quality and compliance.
- Provide leadership and direction through developing and updating procedures, programs, determining appropriate standards and procedures, implementing best operations practices and process improvement, determining staffing requirements, and training opportunities.
- Partner with EVH Training and Development as well as other internal and external partners to ensure that staff is sufficiently trained and managed to accomplish shared goals.
- Track and analyze call center performance versus service goals/metrics; issue regular reports to the VP, Customer-Service, and site leadership management team of performance versus goals and recommended actions, including designing incentive and recognition programs and activities in collaboration with talent management.
- Accountable for developing and sustaining a culture of customer service excellence and higher level of customer satisfaction, including measurement and continuous improvement.
- Build a team environment through regular contact, communication, and onsite and conference call meetings with staff and the site leadership management team.
- Identify opportunities and provide strategic planning for the call centers to drive administrative efficiencies emphasizing cost-containment, quality, compliance and accuracy; create buy-in among the staff and implement process and system improvements and standards.
- Serve as a liaison between the VP, Customer Service, senior leadership and the call centers to cascade organizational strategies and goals to the call centers site leadership management team.
- Support and partner collaboratively with internal team members and partner organizations to develop and manage contractual requirements, plan deliverables, or established priorities set by the plan; execute on business and market strategy and strategic decisions on future market opportunities and develop necessary steps to prepare for those opportunities.
- Provide leadership, direction and oversight as needed to ensure successful outcomes for external reviews and audits by Plan partners and other oversight or regulatory bodies.
- Serve as business partner to assist with implementations of technology infrastructure, including the hardware, software, and telephony required; work to leverage the latest technologies (Chat, Web, Email, Digital, WFM, IVR and CRM) to champion high value customer interactions to build customer/member engagement and loyalty.
- Maintain a current knowledge base with regards to rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to the Health Plan customer; regularly reviewing federal and state regulations to maintain operational compliance with governmental regulations and industry requirements.
- Evaluate, manage, support and mentor direct reports through the use of one on ones, team meetings, performance evaluations and other means; identifying areas of opportunity and growth for the individual(s).
- Provide guidance and support to operations personnel towards resolution of issues with an emphasis on root cause analysis and resolution of problems.
- Regularly monitor and report to Senior and Executive leadership performance reports and data to inform decision-making, process design or improvement and program modification or implementation; take timely corrective action and follow-up to ensure positive outcomes.
- Present operations dashboards for management review; create and report operational tracking metrics and dashboards for monitoring performance.
- Advise Senior and Executive leadership trends, problems, and issues as well as recommended course of action; ensure timely communication; participate in the development and implementation of solutions.
- Prioritize issues identified by business partners, internal team members and/or partner representatives and monitors progress in the resolution of the issues.
- Serve on various committees and attends required meetings.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
The Experience You’ll Need (Required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management/Administration, healthcare, healthcare related discipline or business-related discipline
- 8 - 10 years of progressive experience within a customer service call-center environment, preferably at a health plan, managed care organization, third-party administrator, or other healthcare entity
- 5+ years’ experience at a management level position, managing large teams in a call center environment
- Experience demonstrating strong knowledge of leadership and professional development to assigned direct reports
- Ability to easily manage and be flexible to fluctuations in demand of work and growth; effectively manage by reporting and strategizing on resource needs.
- Exceptional problem solver with the ability to handle difficult situations; proven ability to remain calm in the face of a challenge and understanding of when and how to escalate an issue.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across partner/organizations
- Models leadership and takes initiative
- Strong working knowledge of communication channel operations (phone, email and live chat systems)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools including Excel and Word
Finishing Touches (Preferred):
- MBA or master’s degree in healthcare, healthcare related discipline or business-related discipline
- 10+ years of progressive experience within a customer service call-center environment, preferably at a health plan, managed care organization, third-party administrator, or other healthcare entity
- Strong knowledge of Managed Care, Medicaid and Medicare experience
- Significant inbound/outbound call center management experience including operations, performance metrics, continuous improvement, and process excellence and proven ability to scale call-center operations to more than 500 CSR’s.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and execute business strategy to meet the strategic needs of the organization.
- Call center software application knowledge
- Experience leading teams in matrixed organization structure
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with the ability to be persuasive
- Project management experience or equivalent experience leading cross-functional teams to successful completion of projects
- Passion for serving vulnerable populations
- A proven track record of success with both individual and collaborative problem-solving, showing demonstrable evidence of sound judgment and decision-making
- Entrepreneurial mindset geared toward the creation, execution and continuous improvement of health plan operations and implementations
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Exceptional active listening, communication and presentation skills
Evolent Health is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.