It’s time for a change!
Your Future Evolves Here
Evolent Health has a bold mission to change the health of the nation by changing the way health care is delivered. Our pursuit of this mission is the driving force that brings us to work each day. We believe in embracing new ideas, challenging ourselves and failing forward. We respect and celebrate individual talents and team wins. We have fun while working hard and Evolenteers often make a difference in everything from scrubs to jeans.
Are we growing? Absolutely--62% in year-over-year revenue growth through 2015. Are we recognized? Definitely. We’re 12th on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Promising Companies for 2015, one of “Becker’s 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare” in 2016, and our CEO was number one on Glassdoor’s 2015 Highest-Rated CEOs for Small and Medium Companies. If you’re looking for a place where your work can be personally and professionally rewarding, don’t just join a company with a mission. Join a mission with a company behind it.
Who You’ll Be Working With
Evolent Health is seeking a Scrum Master to join a medium sized, modern software application engineering and DevOps organization. In this role, you will serve and collaboratively guide self-managing Scrum teams to become more effective and proficient through open discussion, inspection, and adaptation. Strong candidates will have the right mix of interpersonal, facilitation, coaching/mentoring, and verbal communication skills, and a breadth and depth of knowledge of Scrum and Agile techniques.
What You'll be Doing:
- Guide and coach Scrum Teams and relevant parts of the organization on how to effectively use Agile/Scrum practices and to delight customers as the highest priority.
- Facilitate Scrum and Sprint rituals and enforce appropriate rules and role boundaries.
- Aggressively seek to eliminate waste and low value costly behaviors.
- Remove impediments or guide the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to quickly remove or prevent blocking issues.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving; correctly and collaboratively identify root cause of problems and implement reasonable and appropriate interventions.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Assess Scrum maturity of the team and organization and lead the team to higher levels of performance, at a comfortably sustainable pace.
- Coach and train the Development Team, Product Owners, and junior Scrum Masters.
- Support and educate Product Owners and business analysts, especially with respect to refining (aka grooming), managing the product backlog, and preparing for Sprint rituals.
- Preserve and promote Agile culture, commitment to excellence, and adaptive flow.
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
Skills You'll Need:
- 2+ recent years of experience as a full-time Scrum Master, Agile coach, or Scrum trainer
- Experience in product or software development roles
- Excellent verbal communication and mentoring skills
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Experience with numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum framework (examples: methods for estimation and forecasting, burndown/up techniques, retrospective formats, handling bugs, measuring team health, user stories, ATDD, TDD, BDD, continuous integration/delivery, continuous testing, pairing, automated testing, games, etc.)
- Ability to distinguish Agile anti-patterns; can clearly communicate knowledge, tools, and tactics that are most appropriate
- 3+ years of experience as a Scrum Master, Agile coach, or Scrum trainer
- Scrum Master or Agile certification (PSM, CSM, CSP, CST, PMI-ACP, etc.)
- Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, organization types, product/technology types, cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc)
- Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, self-study, etc.
- Knowledge of pros/cons of frameworks and scaling approaches in the Agile space: XP, Kanban, Crystal, DaD, SAFe, LeSS, Nexus, etc.
- Experience as a Scrum Development Team member